The objectives of Spicer Adventist University (SAU) are founded upon the philosophy: “True Education means more than the perusal of a certain course of study. It means more than a preparation for the life that now is. It has to do with the whole being and with the whole period of existence possible to man. It is the harmonious development of the physical, the mental, and the spiritual powers. It prepares the student for the joy of service in this world, and for the higher joy of wider service in the world to come.”
Mission Statement: “Spicer Adventist University, a Seventh-day Adventist Christian institution of higher learning, provides its students a distinctive and quality education to pursue excellence in knowledge, faith, service and well being.
Vision Statement: Spicer Adventist University considers itself the flagship of Christian higher education preparing graduates with commitment to unselfish service toward God and fellow human beings.
Core Values: The core values are formulated from the mission and vision of the university and reflect the theme of harmony and multi-faceted development of the individual which is the need of the present world as given below.
- Intellectual Excellence:
Spicer Adventist University (SAU) provides harmonious education and exemplary services to its students to possess knowledge, attitudes, values and skills necessary for service in this world. In focusing on the intellectual excellence, faculty are encouraged to sustain high standards and total commitment in inquiry, teaching and research.
SAU promotes strong curricular, co-curricular and extra-curricular activities to develop leaders for the community. Graduates as leaders will treat all individuals with dignity, respect and fairness.
SAU nurtures spiritual sensitivity and awareness in the constituents. The university will provide a spiritual atmosphere through various purposeful activities.
SAU desires every member of the institution be involved in community services which are incorporated through its academic programmes.
- Well Being
SAU provides opportunities for the holistic development of its community in the following areas:
Lead students to a greater understanding of their physical self, and appreciate the values of physical fitness.
Achieve awareness among students about the current human situation, the crucial problems within contemporary society and to develop a concern for finding solutions through a character motivated by love and controlled by steadfast principles.
Inculcate artistic qualities of unity and variety expressed in harmony, balance, variation, rhythm, and contrast to reflect the order and unity of an integrated universe.
Ensure broad options in lifework through quality preparation for careers in arts, business, industry, public service, etc.
The objects of Spicer Adventist University are delineated from the core values. They are expressed as follows:
- Develop a holistic individual – mature in various aspects of life; physical, intellectual, emotional, social, aesthetic, moral, spiritual and vocational, according to the Adventist philosophy of education.
- Promote pedagogical and technological innovations in various programmes by providing discipline, instruction, teaching and training in higher and technical education and provisions for research.
- Foster intellectual excellence by creating higher levels of intellectual capabilities in order to develop in its students the ability to do independent and creative thinking to understand the basic facts and principles of their fields of study which will develop a continued intellectual curiosity.
- Ensure intellectual excellence by establishing academic departments, centres, faculties and institutions of excellence through the state–of–the–art facilities to train professionals of high competence and commitment and be at par with the best educational institutions world-wide.
- Create centres of excellence for research and development and for sharing knowledge and its application.
- Ensure that the standard of the degrees, diplomas, certificates and other academic distinctions conferred are not lower than those laid down by the Architecture Council of India (ACI), Bar Council of India (BCI), All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), National Assessment and Accreditation Commission (NAAC), The National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE), Universities Grants Commission (UGC) or any other statutory body.
- Carry out teaching and research and other continuing education programmes.
- Institute degrees, diplomas, certificates and other academic distinctions on the basis of examinations and other comprehensive methods of evaluation.
- Pursue any other objectives as may be suggested or directed by the Government.
- Provide consultancy to the industry and public organizations.
- Ensure the compliance of the directions or guidelines issued, from time to time, by the University Grants Commission and other concerned statutory bodies.
- Lead its students to accept and practice those ethical and moral concepts, which are approved by the enlightened conscience of mankind; to develop tolerance towards the rights and opinions of others; to develop acceptance of the social obligations of serving humanity and striving for its welfare.
- Guide its students to develop into attractive personalities and find acceptance in the society, resulting in the community’s active and enthusiastic participation in their activities; to encourage participation in recreation activities, which contribute to well-balanced personalities.
- Give its students an intelligent understanding of the principles of government; to develop in them a willingness to accept the responsibilities and principles of citizenship and recognition of the basic rights of the other individuals and social groups; to give a well-founded understanding of the leading domestic and international issues of the time; to develop a sincere love for their government and country and a willingness to co-operate in bringing about improvement in the communities.
- Develop in its students an appreciation of the dignity of labour, and to give the requisite knowledge and understanding to enable them to choose their vocations intelligently and in harmony with their individual abilities and aptitudes.
- Give its students an understanding of the functions and proper care of the body and to establish a consistent observance of habits and practices, which foster maximum physical vitality and health; to emphasize the intelligent recreational use of leisure time and co-operation with others in the improvement of the physical well-being of society.
- Nurture, spiritual sensitivity and awareness and emphasize the role of personal religion in the lives of its students, to present a moral and ethical philosophy of life as a basis for the solution of both personal and social problems.
- Promote the concept of servant leadership and assist students to develop their skills and become leaders who will reflect the love of God and treat and serve all individuals with dignity, respect and fairness.
- Pave a pathway for total commitment, on an ongoing basis, in the stewardship of physical, financial and human resources aligned with support of its core academic mission.
- Ensure harmonious development of the physical, intellectual, social, and spiritual powers of the students according to their individual and social needs with the union of the student with his Creator as the final end.